Daily Archives: May 10, 2013
Orange is native to Southeast Asia and now has been cultivated worldwide in warm climate regions. Oranges are classified into two general categories; sweet orange (citrus sinensis)and bitter orange (citrus aurantium). The sweet variety are usually more fragrant, they include Navel, Persian, Valencia variety and blood orange.
Orange is one of the most common and popular fruit in the world. It is well-liked because of its easy availability all year round and it tastes good.
Apart from its delightful taste, oranges are also contain many essential nutrients like Vitamin A, B1, and C. One orange supplies nearly 100% of the recommended daily dietary intake of vitamin C. According to calorie count, the nutritional value of one orange (131 grams) is as shown below.
In addition to that, oranges are also a good source of amino acids, beta-carotene, folic acid, pectin, potassium, calcium, iron, iodine, phosphorus, manganese, sodium, chlorine and zinc. An orange packs over 170 different phytonutrients and more than 60 flavonoids, which have been shown to have anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory and strong anti-oxidant properties.
The combination of the high amount of anti-oxidant (vitamin C) and flavonoids in oranges make it one of the best fruits in helping to promote optimal health. Here are 15 health benefits of oranges:
- Prevent cancer
A compound found in oranges and other citrus fruits, called D-limonene has been found to be effective in the prevention of some cancers such as, skin cancer, breast cancer, lung cancer, mouth cancer and colon cancer. The high vitamin C content also acts as an anti-oxidant that protects cells from damages by free radicals.
- Lower cholesterol
One of the most important flavonoids in oranges is hesperidin. Hesperidin and the pectin in oranges have been shown to lower LDL cholesterol. The concentration of hesperidin is considerably higher in the inner peel, rather than in orange flesh. Pectin appears to slow the body’s absorption of fats and lower cholesterol levels.
- Lower high blood pressure
Studies have shown that a flavonoid called hesperidin and magnesium in oranges can lower high blood pressure.
- Cardiovascular benefits
Oranges contains dietary fiber, folate, and herperidin, which are directly promotes the proper functioning of the cardiovascular system. Eating an orange a day helps to keep your cardiovascular system healthy.
- Treat arthritis
Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, oranges help in relieving arthritis pain and stiffness of muscles and joints. In a study at the Arthritis Research Campaign Epidemiology Unit in the UK, suggested that one glass of freshly squeezed orange juice per day is associated with a reduced risk of developing inflammatory disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis.
- Proper brain development
Oranges are a good source of folate or folic acid which helps in the proper development of brain.
- Keep sperm healthy
Orange contains folate, an essential nutrient for healthy sperm and protects sperm from genetic damage that may cause a birth defect.
- Strengthen immune system
The strong content of vitamin C in orange stimulates the production of white cells in our body, thus improving the immune system.
- Prevent kidney stones
Regular consumption of orange juice can significantly reduce the risk of developing kidney stones. In a preliminary study involving nine healthy and four participants with kidney stones, it is suggested that orange juice consumption may be more effective than other citrus juice in the prevention of kidney stones. Further studies are needed to evaluate these results.
- Promotes weight loss
Oranges are extremely low in calories. A medium orange contains just 65 calories, making it a good addition to a healthy diet for weight loss. They also have a high fiber content, which can make you feel full longer, so you eat less.
- Maintain a healthy skin
The antioxidants in orange help protect the skin from free radical damage known to cause signs of aging.
- Protects against infections
Due to the abundance of flavonoid polyphenols, oranges may help protect against viral infections.
- Relieve constipation
A high fiber content in oranges help stimulate the digestive juices, thus relieving constipation.
- Maintain bone and teeth health
Oranges are also rich in calcium, which helps protect and maintain bone as well teeth health.
- Prevent ulcers
Due to its high fiber content, oranges also can help protect against ulcers. Studies suggest that eating an orange a day may help prevent the formation of stomach ulcer.
Having a smooth and blemish free skin is everyone’s dream because it can boost one’s self confidence and make them feel and look good. There are some people who are prone to acne and skin problems ranging from mild to severe acne breakouts.
If you are a person who have such problem, here are some practical tips that could help you to prevent acne and clear your skin.
- Drink at least eight to nine glasses of water per day. It will keep skin hydrated and tighten it as well. By drinking water, your dead skin will fall off and give you a glowing skin. Proper diet can also help in preventing acne. Minimize intake of oily and fatty foods may also prevent the skin from oily. Reduce saturated fat can further assist in reducing the possibility of experiencing acne and other skin problems.
- Exercise regularly and make it a habit. Exercising will help your body to flush out toxins from your body that can cause acne and reduce acne outbreak.
- Cleanliness is important to prevent acne. Remember to wash your pillow covers and towels regularly to prevent them from hiding bacteria. The best way is to clean up everything you use regularly.
- Wash your face twice a day using a mild face wash. Never use soap on your face. Do not scrub the acne and using harsh cleansers as it can worsen the acne.
- Do not pinch or squeeze whiteheads and other blemishes on your skin. It can not prevent acne but it can actually aggravate acne and scars and unwanted marks on your skin. When sleeping, keep the hair from your face. Another thing you should remember to prevent acne is to never sleep with make-up on. Washing the face with a mild cleanser and use warm water to remove makeup before bed. It is a great way to refresh your skin and prevent skin acne.
Cucumber is one of the oldest cultivated vegetables and is believed to be originated in northern India. Today, cucumbers are the fourth most-widely grown vegetable crop in the world behind tomatoes, onions and cabbage. They’re grown worldwide in temperate regions.
There are two types of cucumbers: slicing cucumbers andpickling cucumbers. The pickling varieties tend to be smaller, thicker, and have bumpy skin with black-dotted spines.
Cucumber is often regarded as a healthy food because it is low in calories and fat. Cucumber also contains many vitamins and minerals that make them a healthy choice for cooking and snacking. Here are 15 health benefits of cucumber:
- Keep body hydratedCucumber has 96% water content that is more nutritious than regular water, which helps in keeping the body hydrated and regulating body temperature. It also helps in flushing out the toxins from the body.
- Skin careThe high water content, vitamins A, B & C and the presence of certain minerals like magnesium, potassium, and silica make cucumbers an essential part of skin care. Facial masks containing cucumber juice can be used for skin tightening. Ascorbic acid and caffeic acid present in cucumbers can bring down the water retention rate which in turn diminishes the puffiness and swelling under the eyes. Cucumber skin also can bring relief to the skin caused by sunburn or windburn.
- Fight cancersCucumber are known to contain lariciresinol, pinoresinol, and secoisolariciresinol – three lignans that have a strong history of research in connection with reduced risk of several cancer types, including breast cancer, prostate cancer, uterine cancer, and ovarian cancer.
- Control Blood PressureCucumber juice contains a lot of potassium, magnesium and fiber that work effectively for regulating blood pressure. This makes cucumber good for treating both low blood pressureand high blood pressure.
- Beneficial for teeth and gumsCucumber juice is also beneficial for people with teeth and gums problems, especially in cases of pyorrhea. Cucumber is a good source of dietary fiber and this fiber massage in the teeth and gums.
- Aid digestionDigestive disorders like acidity, heartburn, gastritis and even ulcers can be cured by the daily consumption of fresh cucumber juice. The high water content and dietary fiber in cucumber are very effective in driving away the toxins from the digestive system and hence aid digestion. Daily consumption of cucumbers can be regarded as a remedy for chronic constipation.
- Promotes Joint healthCucumber is an excellent source of silica, which known to help promotes joint health by strengthening the connective tissues.
- Treat tapewormsCucumber seeds are used as a natural remedy for treating tapeworms. Bruised cucumber seeds mixed with water are also effective in the treatment of swellings of the mucous membranes of the nose and the throat.
- Nail careThe high silica content of cucumber also helps to prevent splitting and spoiling of nails of the fingers and toes.
- Relieve gout and arthritis painCucumber is rich in vitamin A, B1, B6, C & D, Folate, Calcium, Magnesium, and Potassium, when mixed with carrot juice, they can relieve gout and arthritis pain by lowering the uric acid levels.
- Cures diabetesThe cucumber juice has been found to be beneficial for the diabetic patients. This vegetable contains a hormone needed by the cells of the pancreas for producing insulin.
- Reduces cholesterolResearchers found that some compound called sterols in cucumber may help reduce cholesterol levels.
- Stimulate hair growthCucumber contains silicon and sulphur and thus a regular intake of cucumber can help promote healthy hair growth. For best results, mix cucumber juice with the juices of carrot, lettuce or spinach.
- Acts as a diureticThe water content of Cucumber acts as a diuretic. It encourages the elimination of waste products from the body through urination. Regular intake of cucumber helps to dissolve bladder or kidney stones.
- Aid in weight lossDue to its low calorie and high water content, cucumber is an ideal diet for people who looking for weight loss.
When buying cucumbers, choose the ones that are firm to touch and dark green in color. Do not buy overly matured or yellow colored as they are prone to contain more insoluble fiber and mature seeds. Go for organically grown cucumbers to get a rich taste and nutritients content.